Whether you’re a collector or a seller of vintage items, these are the things I’m predicting will be most popular in 2019. The lists are just for fun and equal parts from my selling experience, observation at estate sales and online auctions, research in décor magazines and perhaps wishful thinking! I grouped items in a variety of categories.
- mid-century modern items…still! (including pottery and paintings)
- vintage bar tools and glasses
- vintage medical equipment, illustrations/posters, etc.
- vintage abstract paintings
- older religious items: crosses, icons, stained glass from churches, vestments, menorahs, etc.
- vintage Italian pottery, like Bitossi, Deruta, deSimone, etc.
- quality turquoise and sterling Southwestern jewelry
- vintage sterling silver charms/charm bracelets (I had to put this on the list!)
- handmade quilts and quilt pieces
- vintage Steiff stuffed animals
- antique samplers done by school girls
- vintage globes
- antique Bibles particularly if illustrated
- certain kinds of vintage Pyrex
- natural stone/mineral/crystal pieces like bookends, candleholders, vases
- older garden statuary with natural patina
- steampunk bits
- vintage paint-by-numbers pictures
- Bakelite jewelry
- tramp art
- steamer trunks
- antique beaded purses
- milk glass vases and compotes
- collector plates made by Bradford Exchange, Franklin Mint, etc.
- collector dolls, Beanie Babies, etc.
- sets of china
- most crystal
- generic floral or lanscape paintings
- most linens/tablecloths
Things I Never Buy Regardless of Hot or Not
- Hummel figurines
- anything by Thomas Kinkade
- video games (just not my thing)
- most vintage electronics (again not my thing, partly due to shipping and testing issues)
Things I [Almost] Always Buy Regardless of Hot or Not
- vintage tobacciana: cool ashtrays, lighters
- fun 1960s/70s amateur ceramics
- vintage hankies in good condition
- quirky handmade pottery
- quality signed crystal
- quality leather purses/totes
- antique sterling silver souvenir spoons
- vintage black and white snapshots (particularly children and military)
- quality fabric
Would love to hear your thoughts. And I’d be happy to add your “hot” prediction to the list.
As always, happy hunting,